Senior Program Officer, Nursery
Location: Aranda, ACT
Reporting to: Operations Manager
Status: Part time 0.6FTE (Note: Wednesdays and Fridays are essential- other days/hours to be negotiated with successful candidate).
Greening Australia is Australia’s largest environmental enterprise. We tackle Australia’s biggest environmental challenges with the best science and the best people, who work with communities to return life to landscapes. From restoring Tasmania as an island ark, extensive regeneration activities across the southern Australia agricultural belt, to improving the health of the Great Barrier Reef, we are working to create healthy, productive landscapes across the country. With 120 staff in 25 different locations, we conduct a variety of work ranging from large scale restoration projects to endangered species monitoring.
Function and Scope
The position supports the organisational outcomes by delivering quality, local provenance native seedlings for our restoration projects across the region. This includes leading and supporting a team of dedicated volunteers which support our nursery operations. The position requires a level of physical fitness and an ability to work unsupervised.
The Senior Program Officer works with a high level of autonomy and within a team environment to deliver on the strategic objectives of Greening Australia. The nature of the organisation’s activities requires flexible working arrangements and some evening and weekend work as required.
Key Position Accountabilities
Key areas of accountability and outcomes include:
- Provide support to the team in relation to nursery operations.
- Liaise with project partners for any contract growing related matters.
- Work with community groups and Greening Australia volunteers to deliver nursery based outcomes.
- Assist other Greening Australia staff with relevant technical advice when required.
- Lead small teams of community volunteers in nursery based activities.
- Work with other staff as directed to ensure the delivery of contracts are conducted to specification and in a safe and professional manner.
- Work with the management team to ensure efficient resourcing and delivery of nursery outcomes.
- Oversee nursery, budgets and staff / asset management.
- Schedule and manage suppliers.
- Contribute to grant applications and tender submissions where required.
- Contribute to project budgeting and forecasting.
- Support the management team to develop and maintain project budget requirements.
- Fulfil the obligations of a worker under health and safety legislation including demonstrating a duty of care.
- See that you and persons under your charge, receive and use appropriate processes and personal protective equipment and other safety equipment.
Key Selection Criteria
- Formal qualifications / training in horticulture
- Practical experience working in a nursery
- Experience in volunteer/community engagement and management.
- Experience managing project budgets and project risk and contributing to financial forecasting processes.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and supervise work teams.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team, show initiative and to work independently.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with experience in liaison with clients and the public.
- Demonstrated competence in written and oral communication skills, including the preparation of reports.
- Understanding of occupational, health and safety, equity and diversity principles and practices.
- Current ‘C’ Class Manual Driver’s License.
- Physically fit, able and willing to work in an outdoor nursery environment
- Botanical / vegetation identification skills related to local area.
- Experience working in an Australian native nursery
Please submit your application including:
- a cover letter that addresses the key areas of responsibility; and
- your current resume.
Applications that do not comply with the above will not be considered.
Submit applications to [email protected]
Applications close: 4pm, Monday 18th November
For further information, please contact Angela Calliess, Operations Manager on 6129 5400 or email [email protected].