Grasses of the Northern Savannas – native grass seed
Australia’s northern savannas stretch from Western Australia, through the Northern Territory, and into North West and Central Queensland, covering more than 1.5 million sq km. The northern savannas are made up of numerous and diverse habitat types but are generally dominated by open woodland with a grassy understorey. The type of habitat that occurs in a particular area depends mainly on the soil type, the annual rainfall and the land management history. Each grass species has different habitat requirements. Some species are very particular, only growing on certain soil types in certain areas while other species occur right across the region on a wide variety of soils.
Native grasses are an important part of savanna eco-systems and are well adapted to the Australian climate and landscape.
- There are grass species suited to every locality, and every possible variation in landscape or climate.
- Native grass provides food and habitat for many animals and birds.
- Many species have excellent grazing value.
- There are both annual and perennial species.
- Many native grass species are resistant to drought, fire and heavy rain.
- Many species are suited to poor soil, with low nutrient requirements.
- Perennial species control erosion by binding the soil with their deep fibrous root systems.
Greening Australia has been involved in the harvesting, distribution and re-establishment of native grasses in the semi-arid sub-tropical region of the Northern Territory since 1993.
We supply seed from a large range of grass species native to Northern Australia for use in:
- Re-establishment of native pasture
- Mine site revegetation
- Roadside revegetation
- Erosion control/ bank stabilisation
- Dust suppression
- Weed suppression
- Conservation and biodiversity enhancement
- Habitat restoration
Small and large quantities of native grass seed from a large range of species
Independent germination tests and seed counts are supplied with each seed-lot and species.
Site specific seed mixes tailored to your particular land use.
Grass seedlings available to order
Local provenance collections
Grass surveys and revegetation site assessments
Technical advice on grass establishment.
Phone: 08 8947 3793